Tooth pain is one of those things that most people have to deal with at some point in their lives. Think of it was a warning signal that there is something wrong in the mouth. The more intense the pain is, the more serious the underlying issue causing it is.The only permanent fix for tooth…
4 Important Things That Will Happen During Your Dental Checkup in Honolulu
Have you already scheduled your dental checkup in Honolulu? Dental checkups are important to your oral and general health because your dentist not only cleans your teeth and checks for signs of tooth decay and gum disease, they also check for signs of potential health problems.
Even though dental exams are usually non-invasive, a lot of people avoid going to see the dentist because they are nervous or afraid of dentists. If you are one of those people, these tips will let you know what to expect during your dental checkup in Honolulu and make you more comfortable about going to see the dentist.
During your dental checkup
1. Dental X-ray
During your visit, your dentist will take an X-ray of your mouth because it allows them to see detailed images they cannot see with the naked eye, allowing them to pick up on symptoms of tooth decay or other diseases. The types of dental X-rays dentists perform include:
- Bitewing X-ray: This allows your dentist to get a better look at the crowns of your upper and lower teeth. Your dentist will ask you to bite down on the film holder while they take the X-ray images.
- Cone beam computerized tomography X-ray: This X-ray is performed to give your dentist a 3D view of your mouth, allowing them to check the spacing of your teeth.
- Occlusal X-ray: Performing this X-ray allows your dentist to see how your upper and lower teeth fit together when you close your jaw.
- Panoramic X-ray: This X-ray is done to give your dentist a view of your entire mouth.
- Periapical X-ray: This X-ray allows your dentist to look inside an entire tooth and the surrounding bone.
2. Teeth cleaning
Cleaning is a part of your dental checkup to help prevent cavities and get rid of tartar buildup. Your dentist will use a fluoride-rich solution to clean your teeth because fluoride is very effective in combating plaque, which is why dentists recommend brushing with fluoride toothpaste.
3. Oral cancer examination
During your dental checkup in Honolulu, your dentist will perform an oral cancer examination by feeling under your jaw, the inside of your cheeks and lips, the side of your neck and the sides of your tongue. This technique is effective in picking up signs of oral cancer, but you can also request an oral cancer screening if you want to be absolutely sure.
4. General health and well-being questions
In addition to the cleaning, X-rays and other examinations, your dentist will ask you questions about your oral and general health. If you have cavities or significant tooth decay, your dentist will recommend treatment options and also give you tips on how to practice good oral hygiene and improve your general health.
Going for regular dental checkups improves both your oral and general health, which is why it is important that you visit a dentist on a regular basis. If you want to learn more about what to expect during your dental checkup in Honolulu, we invite you to contact our office today.
Check out what others are saying about our dental services on Yelp: Dental Checkup.